Name: Elijah Boesch
School: Central DeWitt High School
- What was your most memorable race/moment?
My freshman year on the Shuttle Hurdle team that qualified for State and I was the only non senior on the squad.
- Who would you consider your biggest competition over your four years?
Honestly myself, there are always people faster than you. But in the race the only competition in the race is yourself and your mind.
- What was your greatest accomplishment?
Winning the 2017 Distance Medley Relay with my friends I have known since we were little kids.
- If you could do it all over again what would you change about your running career in high school?
What I would do all over again is do a lot more off season work. I did some, but you can always do more.
- What were the most difficult obstacles you had to overcome?
The most difficult obstacle I had was breaking 50 in the 400 split. My coach said I had to do it to be in the running for most of my races and it took all year but at districts and state I only ran 49's.
- What will you miss the most?
I will miss one of my friends Will DeHaan, I've known him for a long time and next year we both will be competing against each other and not with each other.
- What advice would you give to younger athletes?
I would tell you get athletes to keep on keeping on. The workouts suck some days but in the end when you hit your goal you remember all the times that you wanted to quit but didn't.
- What influence has your coach had with respect to your performance and overall life goals?
I've had many coaches in my life. Two that stand out are Coach Rueter and Coach Lansing. Both of these two were my head coach at some point. And Coach Rueter pushed me to compete hard and Coach Lansing kept telling me that I have no idea on what I am capable of. This made me realize that no matter what I want to do I can make it happen.
- What are your college plans?
I will be running Track and Field and Cross County at Indian Hills Community College.
- Who would you like to say 'thank you' to?
I'd like to say thank you to all of those that raced me, pushed me and coached me. Also to my mom that showed up to every single meet in high school and my family that was super supportive of me and kept me going when the going was tough.
- Is there anything else you'd like to add?
In track we are all a brotherhood. After a race even if you got dead last everyone would high five and all of us would talk about the race. We all ran the same distance and we all went the hardest that is all that matters.
- What was the funniest thing that happened during your running career?
When my teammate told me to do something funny in the blocks. And now every time I was in the blocks I had to do what my team calls The Spider Boesch. If you've been to the state meet and you've seen the 3A races you have most likely seen it.
Elijah, we salute you! Congratulations on a great high school career and good luck on your next adventure at Indian Hills Community College!
If you, a friend, or family member has recently graduated, we would love to also feature you in our "Salute to Seniors!" Send the above questions with your personal answers along with 1-3 photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.