Karissa Schweizer, junior, Dowling Catholic HS
PR’s: 800m – 2:16.53, 1500m – 4:42.45, 3000m – 10:03.59, 4k XC – 14:08, 5k XC – 18:28
1. When & how did you get started in track & field?
I started running some track meets in the 5th grade when I was 10 years old. But it wasn't until 8th grade that I started training for cross country and track.
2. Person/people most influential to your success in track & field?
My parents, who ran in college, have been very influential to my success in track. Also my grandpa, who used to run and coach track and cross country, has helped me in many ways to become the runner I am today.
3. Your favorite track & field event(s)?
My favorite track and field event is the 1500.
4. Your track & field event coach(es)?
My track and field coaches are Coach Parriot, Coach Wier, and Father Kirby.
5. Keys to your successful track & field training program?
My keys to success in track and field training are my coaches, who always believe in me and know how to push me to work hard. My family, they always encourage me to do my best.
6. Your favorite track & field meet(s)?
My favorite track and field meets are Drake and State.
7. Track & field athlete(s) you most enjoy competing against?
One athlete that I very much enjoy competing with is Madison Waymire. We are always very close to each other; and almost all races I run with her come down to the very end. We are both very competitive during the race, and good friends after it’s over.
8. Most memorable experience in track & field so far?
My most memorable experience in track and field was running in the Drake Relays for the first time.
9. Greatest accomplishment(s) in track & field so far?
My greatest accomplishment in track and field so far would be winning the 3000 at State in 2010.
10. Goals for the 2013 track & field season?
Goals I have for the 2013 track and field season are to try my hardest and to be proud of every race I run.
11. If a senior, college/university you will attend, or schools you are considering?
12. Long-term goals in track & field?
A long-term goal would be to run in college, and win a team State title.
See Karissa’s IOWATFXC.COM webpage at https://ia.milesplit.com/athletes/1680458-karissa-schweizer .