Derek Jones, senior, Glenwood HS
PR’s: 400m – 49.69, 400mLH – 52.98
(photo from Omaha World Herald Prep Zone)
1. When & how did you get started in track & field?
I got started as a kid going to our elementary school's "Olympic Day". I also attended a couple Hershey Track Meets.
2. Person/people most influential to your success in track & field?
My parents, coaches, and teammates are all equally influential to my success.
3. Your favorite track & field event(s)?
400 hurdles definitely.
4. Your track & field event coach(es)?
Mark Starner and Brian Albert
5. Keys to your successful track & field training program?
Cross-training (playing football & basketball) as well as working with a hurdler throughout the summer (Mike Godbout).
6. Your favorite track & field meet(s)?
The Drake Relays and State Track Meet have to be everyone's favorites. However, besides that, I like running at home meets.
7. Track & field athlete(s) you most enjoy competing against?
8. Most memorable experience in track & field so far?
Winning the team championship my sophomore year.
9. Greatest accomplishment(s) in track & field so far?
Being able to contribute in winning the team championship my sophomore year, and running the 400 hurdles at Drake.
10. Goals for the 2013 track & field season?
Enjoy it, stay injury free, and improve.
11. If a senior, college/university you will attend, or schools you are considering?
I will be attending Iowa State University next fall.
12. Long-term goals in track & field?
Run sub 50 seconds in the 400 hurdles, and compete at the NCAA Track and Field Championships.
See Derek’s IOWATFXC.COM webpage at https://ia.milesplit.com/athletes/1554572-derek-jones .