PREPARING & DISTRIBUTING XC MEET RESULTS WITH RACETAB
If you’re using Hy-Tek or Raceberry Jam to manage your meets and prepare & distribute results, keep using it. If you are typing results into a Word document, spreadsheet, etc. (and computing team scores manually), with printouts not attractive & difficult to distribute and results not readily transferable to athlete-team-conference-division-state-national statistics, use RaceTab.
RaceTab is FREE T&F/XC/RR management software offered by MileSplit to make your meet operations and results preparation more efficient and effective. Since most schools hosting XC meets this fall have meet management procedures in place, for now we’ll address only how to download and use RaceTab to efficiently prepare and distribute your XC meet results.
A. TO DOWNLOAD RACETAB:
1. Open IOWATFXC.COM.
2. Click on Resources > RaceTab Meet Manager > Download.
3. Under Down Load, click the latest version.
4. Under “Do you want to run or save this file?”, click on Run.
5. Within Licenser Agreement, click on I Agree.
6. Within Installation Options, keep all selected and click on Next.
7. Accept the default Destination Folder, click Install.
8. After the installation is complete, click Close.
9. RaceTab is installed, and a RaceTab icon placed on your desktop.
B. TO USE RACETAB TO PREPARE AND DISTRIBUTE YOUR MEET RESULTS:
1. Double-click on the R3 icon on your desktop to open RaceTab.
2. The first time you go to RaceTab you must submit your profile information. After that, you will be taken directly to the Create/Open/Download/Import Meet page.
3A. If your meet is already on the IOWATFXC.COM Calendar, click on Download From MileSplit, select the date of the meet, Search for meets on that date, and click on your meet. In the “Download From MileSplit” window, click on Finish.
3B. If your meet is not on the Calendar, email the meet information to email@example.com, wait until your meet is placed on the Calendar, and then go to 3A.
3C. If you’ve previously opened your meet in RaceTab, click on Open Existing Meet and select your meet.
4. Under the Setup tab - Review all included information. Do not change the Meet Information. If incorrect, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to provide corrected information, and to have that corrected information placed with your meet on the Calendar, before proceeding. Under Scoring and Timing options, select appropriate options if not correct.
5. Also under the Setup tab - click on Divisions. For XC divisions (e.g.;Varsity, JV, MS), click Add > enter the division in the Name box and select/enter appropriate other options (terminology for subdivisions within those divisions; e.g., boys, girls, mixed) > Save.
6. Under the Team tab - In cross country, you may add teams directly when entering results under each event; and therefore do not have to add teams under Teams in advance.
7. Under the Athletes tab - In cross country, you may add athletes directly when entering results under each event; and therefore do not have to add athletes under Athletes in advance.
8. Under the Events tab - Under Events, add each different event (e.g.; Varsity Girls 4000 Meter Run, Varsity Boys 5000 Meter Run) by clicking on + and selecting the respective gender and event from the drop-down lists. Do not type in different event names.
9. To enter results for each event - click on the event, and enter for each finisher:
a. bib # - not needed; include if runners wore numbered bibs and race photos were taken, to help identify runners in the photos. Tab to Athlete.
b. Athlete - enter first & last names either as “Jane Doe” or “Doe, Jane” (RaceTab will automatically convert “Jane Doe” to “Doe, Jane”). If you have no name for a place/time, leave Athlete blank but put in the team and time. Tab to Team.
c. Team – enter the team name the first time as you want in the results. After you’ve entered a specific team name once, RaceTab’s ‘auto complete’ will help you enter that team subsequently. Just start entering the team name, and click Tab when the correct team name appears. Tab to Place.
d. Place - don’t include; will be calculated automatically later from entered times. Tab to Time.
e. Time – enter the time in format as examples – 23:45, 23:45.6, or 23:45.67. Tab to the next entry.
f. If you omit an athlete, just add later with correct time. RaceTab will put in proper place according to times.
g. When all finishers are entered for the event, click on Score to assign individual places and automatically compute team scores.
h. When results are entered for each Event or all Events, click on Results to see complete team and individual results, or Team Scores to see only team scores.
10. Under the Publish tab - Click on Complete Results (columns) to See, Save As, and/or Print your results. If preparing results for newspapers, click on Complete Results (AP style). Save as an HTML, not text, document.
11. When emailing results to coaches or the media (including IOWATFXC.COM), send the HTML file that you saved. Do NOT print out the results, scan into a PDF (photo) file, and send that. The HTML file is best for everyone’s purposes; text or PDF files aren’t!!
C. FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS ON RACETAB, go to the Resources tab and click on RaceTab Meet Manager.