“Projected Top 2012 Iowa HS T&F Teams” Interview – with Brent Van Hauen, head boys track coach, Pella HS Girls, 3A Division
1. Keys to your success as a team in 2012? Team depth will be a huge factor in our success this year. We have a lot of confidence in so many kids and feel great about putting many kids in different spots. It was one of the reasons we were successful last year with a very very young team was the depth of the team at almost every event. Also finding the right combination of kids to maximize our point potential come district and state time will obviously be a big key for us.
2. Team goals for 2012? As in the past 4 years we really focus on doing our very best every time out and improving. We think I can say that the team has their sights set on competing for our Conference title along with a District title and a top 5 finish at the state meet.
3. Strongest event areas? We should be very strong in every running event this year. We qualified in 10 running events for state last year with only 1 being filled by a Sr. with that same Sr. being on 1 relay of the 3 relays we qualified for state. Field events we will be very down.
4. Top returning athletes (and their class & event(s))?
Zach Buchheit Sr. 3200, 1600, relays (State CC champ)
Grant Gustafson Sr. 400, 800, relays (all-state 2010)
Jace Versteeg Sr. 110H(6th 2011) 400H, Shuttle Hurdle (6th 2011)
Taylor Cox Sr. 400 H, Shuttle Hurdle (6th 2011)
Austin Fuller Sr. 100, 200, Relays
Colton Haning Sr. 800, Relays
Chris Brogden Jr. 100 (6th 2011) 200, Relays
Wade Pingel, Jr. 1600, 400 H, Shuttle, 4x4, 4x8
Keegan Fitzsimmons, Jr. 1600, 800, relays
Evan Jones, Jr. 3200, 1600, 800, relays
Kenny DuPre, Jr. 110H, Shuttle
Nathan Clayberg, So, Throws
Lukas Steenhoek, So, 400 (11th as a Fr.), 200, relays
5. Top newcomers (and their class & event(s))?
Tukkar Bogaard, Sr. Hurdles
Ryan Shull, Jr. 100, 200, 400
Quinton Murphy, Fr. 100, 200, 400
Garret Jansen, Fr. Throws
Trevor Argo, Fr. Hurdles
6. Other top teams in your division?
Clear Creek Amana
*Notes: We have 30 letter winners back from last years team that was Conf and District runner ups to a very good Knoxville team in both meets. We only had 4 Sr. last year with 2 of them being throwers and 1 being a part time shuttle hurdle runner. We return 14 of 16 kids that participated at last years state meet with 9 returning of the 10 that placed. We are fielding a team of about 65 kids this year, up from 25 kids from just 6 years ago when myself and Doug Cutler took over a very poor track program that had 16 kids out the previous 2 years. We have 2 Conf runner ups and a Conf title in the last 3 years along with 1 District title and 3 runner ups the last 4 years. My asst. coaches include Doug Cutler who has won 2 State CC titles in his 7 years in Pella, Matt Schulte who has spent numerous years coaching track and several as a very successful coach at Belmond-Klemme and Jason Anderson.