“Projected Top 2012 Iowa HS T&F Teams” Interview –
with Jeff Hartman, head boys track coach, Cedar Falls HS Boys, 4A Division
1. Keys to your success as a team in 2012? To work as hard this year as last year and try to make up for the points we graduated. It will also be important for us to have balance in all the events. We have an outstanding group of sprinters. But to be successful as a team we need to have contributions from our distance runners, hurdlers, throwers and jumpers.
2. Team goals for 2012? As always our first goal is to have everyone improve from last year and over the course of this year. Beyond that our goals are to win a conference championship, qualify 14 or more events for the state meet (13 qualified last year), and to have everyone have their best performance of the season at the state meet. If we do all of that I think we can be one of several teams with a chance to win the state championship.
3. Strongest event areas? Our strongest events should be the short sprints and the sprint relays.
4. Top returning athletes (and their class & event(s))?
James Harrington (Senior) - 2011 4A State Champion 100m, 200m, 4x100, 4x200
Luke Toyosi (Senior) - 2011 4A State Champion 4x100, 4x200; 6th place 100m at 2010 4A State Track meet
Ross Pierschbacher (Sophomore) - 7th place shot put 2011 4A state track meet
Adam Streicher (Senior) - 8th place at 2011 4A cross country meet, 2011 state qualifier in 3200
5. Top newcomers (and their class & event(s))?
Kalund Brown (Junior) - high jump and hurdles
Timothy Sevcik (Sophomore) - 3200 and 1600
6. Other top teams in your division? West Des MoinesValley, Cedar RapidsWashington, Linn-Mar