XC Interview - Anna Peer, Bettendorf High School
This interview features Anna Peer, senior, Bettendorf High School, Bettendorf, IA. In 2011, Anna was 5th in the Iowa State 4A Cross Country Championships, with a 4000m XC PR – 14:20. In 2012 track, she was 4th in the 3000 (10:24.35) and 7th in the 1500 (4:52.57) at the 4A State Championships, 8th in the 3000 (10:16.42) at Drake, and 2nd in the 3000 (PR – 10:14.76) at the ISU Indoor Classic.
1. When & how did you get started in cross country, or generally in your running career?
I started seriously running when I was a freshman. I went out for cross country with the intention of getting in shape for soccer. But I ended up being a pretty good runner, so I stuck with it.
2. Person/people most influential to your success in cross country, or generally in your running career?
My mom and my coaches are the most influential people in my running. They are always there for me no matter what.
3. Your cross country coach(es)?
Coach Flynn and Coach Gaffney are the best coaches I have ever had. They are always encouraging me to do my best, and push me to reach my goals by making challenging workouts.
4. Keys to your successful training program?
As a runner, I respond to more mileage over short speed workouts; so for me, mileage is key.
5. Why you enjoy cross country?
I enjoy cross country because I love running in general and all of the things that go with it: the team, competing, and of course the pasta parties!
6. Your favorite cross-country meet(s)?
My favorite course is the Cedar Rapids course and my overall favorite meet is state because of all of the memories made with my team.
7. Cross country athlete(s) you most enjoy competing against?
All of the Des Moines area runners.
8. Your greatest cross country experience in your career so far?
Coming back after being hurt my sophomore season and winning the first meet my junior year.
9. Goals for the 2012 cross country season?
Top 5 at state.
10. Long-term goals in cross country, or generally in your running career?
I would like to greatly improve my times when I go to college. Farther down the road I would like to run a marathon.
See Anna’s IOWATFXC.COM webpage at https://ia.milesplit.com/athletes/1040762-anna-peer .