Austin Hess, senior, Harlan HS
PR’s: 110m HH – 14.74, LJ – 20’8”, HJ – 6’2”
(photo from southwestiowanews.com)
1. When & how did you get started in track & field?
5th grade at the yearly middle school meet. It was something that I was always interested in; to compare how fast I was with everyone else. It was kind of an obsession.
2. Person/people most influential to your success in track & field?
My coaches, from middle school to high school, always told me I'd have a chance at success because of my all around athleticism. They were definitely the ones who gave me the most confidence and drive to continue with track.
3. Your favorite track & field event(s)?
In order - 110 highs, open 100, shuttle hurdles, high jump, 4x1, and long jump.
4. Your track & field event coach(es)?
Ken Carstens and Steve Wilwerding.
5. Keys to your successful track & field training program?
Excellent coaching and great teammates. The coaches almost always find ways for us to improve, no matter how much success we have. They just set the standards higher and higher each year. It’s also very important that we have a high team chemistry, which seems to go hand and hand with Harlan athletics at any level or sport.
6. Your favorite track & field meet(s)?
Conference, districts, state, and Drake. I love competing on the stages with the highest reward, and that matter the most.
7. Track & field athlete(s) you most enjoy competing against?
Usually the athletes I compete against at Drake and state. It means more than anything to compete against the most elite in the state.
8. Most memorable experience in track & field so far?
Running at state and Drake. Nothing compares to the feeling of running in front of thousands of people.
9. Greatest accomplishment(s) in track & field so far?
Taking the state 3A title in the 110 highs in 2012.
10. Goals for the 2013 track & field season?
To win the 110 highs at Drake and state. It's been my only thought since last season.
11. If a senior, college/university you will attend, or schools you are considering?
Northwest Missouri State, UNI, and IWCC
12. Long-term goals in track & field?
To be successful as a collegiate athlete; and if it calls for it, to make it the next level beyond that.