Kansas all-time list has been updated
06/04/2017 1:48:35 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Now current through 5/29/2017 for those who haven't seen it. http://media.varsitykansas.com/smedia/2017/06/03/23/46/RFaKT.So.161.pdf
Now current through 5/29/2017 for those who haven't seen it. http://media.varsitykansas.com/smedia/2017/06/03/23/46/RFaKT.So.161.pdf
06/05/2017 11:09:28 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I feel like we get to say this every year, but there were definitely some performances I saw with my own eyes that probably wont happen again, maybe in Kansas High School history. Christal Mosley Going 24.2 & 55.4 in the 200m & 400m Watching Noah Green run 13.71 at KU relays in the 110H was just flat out impressive. Newton Girls 4x100m squad going sub 47!!! Obviously Kyler True Running 4:07 time trial at state in warm breezy conditions was something I will remember the exact spot in the stands I was watching from. Or when he made a pack of sub 4:20 guys look like the JV squad at KU Relays. The thing that we will probably never see again in Kansas (I'd love to be proven wrong) was watching the Logue/Born/Venters races. The 3 of them duking it out in the 3200m at KU all under 10:16! Then 2 weeks later at SMN Relays where they each ran under 4:50, at the time ranked all 3 of them in the top 8 in the nation! I wish I could have gotten to a few more field events this year because there were some amazing performances there too!
I feel like we get to say this every year, but there were definitely some performances I saw with my own eyes that probably wont happen again, maybe in Kansas High School history.

Christal Mosley Going 24.2 & 55.4 in the 200m & 400m

Watching Noah Green run 13.71 at KU relays in the 110H was just flat out impressive.

Newton Girls 4x100m squad going sub 47!!!

Obviously Kyler True Running 4:07 time trial at state in warm breezy conditions was something I will remember the exact spot in the stands I was watching from. Or when he made a pack of sub 4:20 guys look like the JV squad at KU Relays.

The thing that we will probably never see again in Kansas (I'd love to be proven wrong) was watching the Logue/Born/Venters races. The 3 of them duking it out in the 3200m at KU all under 10:16! Then 2 weeks later at SMN Relays where they each ran under 4:50, at the time ranked all 3 of them in the top 8 in the nation!

I wish I could have gotten to a few more field events this year because there were some amazing performances there too!
06/05/2017 1:03:35 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=CoachBallew] The thing that we will probably never see again in Kansas (I'd love to be proven wrong) was watching the Logue/Born/Venters races. The 3 of them duking it out in the 3200m at KU all under 10:16! Then 2 weeks later at SMN Relays where they each ran under 4:50, at the time ranked all 3 of them in the top 8 in the nation![/quote] @CoachBallew This. It seems like we often think certain performances will never be duplicated when they are way ahead of the curve, but these three created a unique situation that I really don't think will ever be replicated because it wasn't just one athlete, it was THREE. At the same time. We've never seen anything even close to the Steve Smith and Brent Steiner Show on the same team and that was just TWO guys at that level. Three of the four or five best girls in state history on the scene at the same time? In the same races? Fuggetaboutit. Not gonna happen. The Big Three were a one-shot deal and 30 years from now a new generation is going to look at that list in amazement and wonder what it was like to have three top-10 U.S. athletes in the same events on the scene at the same time. And one of us crusty old farts will smile and start telling stories.
CoachBallew wrote:
The thing that we will probably never see again in Kansas (I'd love to be proven wrong) was watching the Logue/Born/Venters races. The 3 of them duking it out in the 3200m at KU all under 10:16! Then 2 weeks later at SMN Relays where they each ran under 4:50, at the time ranked all 3 of them in the top 8 in the nation!

@CoachBallew

This. It seems like we often think certain performances will never be duplicated when they are way ahead of the curve, but these three created a unique situation that I really don't think will ever be replicated because it wasn't just one athlete, it was THREE. At the same time. We've never seen anything even close to the Steve Smith and Brent Steiner Show on the same team and that was just TWO guys at that level. Three of the four or five best girls in state history on the scene at the same time? In the same races? Fuggetaboutit. Not gonna happen.

The Big Three were a one-shot deal and 30 years from now a new generation is going to look at that list in amazement and wonder what it was like to have three top-10 U.S. athletes in the same events on the scene at the same time.

And one of us crusty old farts will smile and start telling stories.
06/05/2017 10:15:26 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Zat0pek You don't have to be a "crusty old fart" to start telling the "back in my day..." stories!
@Zat0pek

You don't have to be a "crusty old fart" to start telling the "back in my day..." stories!
06/07/2017 12:51:33 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=CoachBallew]@Zat0pek You don't have to be a "crusty old fart" to start telling the "back in my day..." stories![/quote] @CoachBallew Agreed, but in 30 years when people look back and marvel at having three athletes of that caliber on the scene at the same time, we'll ALL be crusty old farts...hopefully! It's the equivalent of having three Noah Greens on the scene at the same time. Or three Kyler Trues. The odds are staggering.
CoachBallew wrote:
@Zat0pek

You don't have to be a "crusty old fart" to start telling the "back in my day..." stories!

@CoachBallew

Agreed, but in 30 years when people look back and marvel at having three athletes of that caliber on the scene at the same time, we'll ALL be crusty old farts...hopefully!

It's the equivalent of having three Noah Greens on the scene at the same time. Or three Kyler Trues. The odds are staggering.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.