Transfer question
08/20/2017 10:19:53 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Brianna Torres, who was 10th at 1A state as a freshman for Tescott, moved to Salina over the summer with her family. Tescott is refusing to sign her release papers to allow her to run varsity for Salina Central. As of now, she must run JV. I thought if the family moved, she would be good to go. If not, seems like a very poor rule. What's the purpose?
Brianna Torres, who was 10th at 1A state as a freshman for Tescott, moved to Salina over the summer with her family.

Tescott is refusing to sign her release papers to allow her to run varsity for Salina Central.

As of now, she must run JV.

I thought if the family moved, she would be good to go.

If not, seems like a very poor rule. What's the purpose?
08/20/2017 10:39:06 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Interesting. Without knowing all the details all I can say is that because she moved she should absolutely be eligible for varsity participation. I would look into that if I were here coach, parents, etc...
Interesting. Without knowing all the details all I can say is that because she moved she should absolutely be eligible for varsity participation. I would look into that if I were here coach, parents, etc...
08/20/2017 10:53:49 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
They supposedly are but what I found interesting was that, according to school official, Tescott isn't obligated to release her for varsity competition. I was told Tescott and other small schools struggling with enrollment do this simply because they willl to do anything to stop students from leaving.
They supposedly are but what I found interesting was that, according to school official, Tescott isn't obligated to release her for varsity competition.

I was told Tescott and other small schools struggling with enrollment do this simply because they willl to do anything to stop students from leaving.
08/21/2017 11:05:52 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The previous school does not have a say in the matter. If a student's family makes a bonafide move of residence to the area of the new school they are immediately eligible so long as the move preceded the transfer and not vice versa. This information can be found on page 30 of the KSHSAA handbook. http://kshsaa.org/Publications/Handbook.pdf If I am wrong, somebody explain to me what I am missing and where to find it in the KSHSAA handbook so I know the rules better. (Insert private school transfer joke here)
The previous school does not have a say in the matter. If a student's family makes a bonafide move of residence to the area of the new school they are immediately eligible so long as the move preceded the transfer and not vice versa. This information can be found on page 30 of the KSHSAA handbook. http://kshsaa.org/Publications/Handbook.pdf

If I am wrong, somebody explain to me what I am missing and where to find it in the KSHSAA handbook so I know the rules better. (Insert private school transfer joke here)
08/21/2017 12:10:07 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@Wrigs77 I always thought that too. And it seems like common sense. But apparently there are two different sign-off papers, one for varsity and one for junior varsity.
@Wrigs77

I always thought that too. And it seems like common sense.

But apparently there are two different sign-off papers, one for varsity and one for junior varsity.
08/21/2017 2:38:01 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Very curious to see how this turns out. Please keep us posted.
Very curious to see how this turns out. Please keep us posted.
08/22/2017 11:27:13 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The only exception to this is if it involves moving/living with some one other than parents and or the possibility of a scenario in which one parent lives one place and the other lives somewhere else. Those situations are more tricky, but normally work themselves out. Students do have the ability along with the new school to petition KSHSAA, especially if there they believe the former school is not acting in good faith.
The only exception to this is if it involves moving/living with some one other than parents and or the possibility of a scenario in which one parent lives one place and the other lives somewhere else. Those situations are more tricky, but normally work themselves out. Students do have the ability along with the new school to petition KSHSAA, especially if there they believe the former school is not acting in good faith.
08/23/2017 8:41:00 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@BraveDawg I have a hunch this may be the snag. She has a cousin that attended Central last year. First time I heard the whole story, I had the feeling she was living with them. But I asked Brianna myself last Saturday if she lived in Salina. She said "yes." And I asked if her family moved here and she said, "yes." She has a brother on the football team, I don't know his status.
@BraveDawg

I have a hunch this may be the snag. She has a cousin that attended Central last year.

First time I heard the whole story, I had the feeling she was living with them.

But I asked Brianna myself last Saturday if she lived in Salina. She said "yes." And I asked if her family moved here and she said, "yes."

She has a brother on the football team, I don't know his status.
08/25/2017 10:51:41 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Parents are meeting with Tescott school officials on Monday, hopefully they will sign the form needed to make her varsity eligible.
Parents are meeting with Tescott school officials on Monday, hopefully they will sign the form needed to make her varsity eligible.
08/25/2017 11:53:04 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I'm with Wrigs. This whole scenario seems odd. There has to be more to the story. However, that said, I have seen some small schools go to incredible extremes to keep from losing students (read: funding).
I'm with Wrigs. This whole scenario seems odd. There has to be more to the story. However, that said, I have seen some small schools go to incredible extremes to keep from losing students (read: funding).
08/31/2017 3:41:03 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Tescott signed the release form yesterday after a meeting with the parents. The family had moved to Salina, but still had their residence in Tescott and there was a lot of traveling back and forth (family matters) and Tescott did not think an actual move had been made. But apparently all is good, finally.
Tescott signed the release form yesterday after a meeting with the parents.

The family had moved to Salina, but still had their residence in Tescott and there was a lot of traveling back and forth (family matters) and Tescott did not think an actual move had been made. But apparently all is good, finally.
01/17/2018 5:44:02 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
On a related note, I immediately thought of this thread when I saw this article. http://cjonline.com/sports/highschools/2018-01-17/kshsaa-orders-topeka-high-vacate-football-wins-using-ineligible-player
On a related note, I immediately thought of this thread when I saw this article.

http://cjonline.com/sports/highschools/2018-01-17/kshsaa-orders-topeka-high-vacate-football-wins-using-ineligible-player

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.