XC Interview - Jordan Schulze, Indianola High School
This interview features Jordan Schulze, senior, Indianola High School, Indianola, Iowa. If Jordan’s improvements from 2010-11 to 2011-12 are any indication, this should be a special season and year for him. In 2010-11, Jordan was 89th in the State 4A XC Meet (16:37) and 17th at State Track in the 1600m (4:33.21). In 2011-12, he was 13th in the State XC (15:33) and 6th in track at 1600m (4:24.57).
1. When & how did you get started in cross country, or generally in your running career?
I ran track in middle school but never really became seriously committed to running until my freshman year when I joined the cross-country team.
2. Person/people most influential to your success in cross country, or generally in your running career?
My brother, Nick, has been the most influential person in my success as a runner. He currently runs for Iowa State. Being able to have a role-model who is able to show me what it takes to be a successful runner on a daily basis has been crucial to my running career.
3. Your cross country coach(es)?
Kevin Barnes and Stacy Garrels are the best coaches I could ask for. Their extensive knowledge in running and ability to push me physically through-out the year has put me where I am today.
4. Keys to your successful training program?
My coaches have been able to create a challenging training program that puts me in a position to run my absolute best at the end of the season.
5. Why do you enjoy cross country?
Our team camaraderie makes every day enjoyable. Whether we are running the toughest workout of the year, or an easy pre-meet day, our team atmosphere is awesome.
6. Your favorite cross country meet(s)?
My favorite meet with the exclusion of the State Meet would have to be the Clinton Invitational. It’s an overnight trip and brings us really close as a team as we head into the last few meets of the season.
7. Cross country athlete(s) you most enjoy competing against?
Over the last couple years I’ve become friends with several of the guys on both the Dowling and Waukee teams; so its always fun to compete against them.
8. Your greatest cross country experience in your career so far?
Achieving All State honors last year at the state meet was easily the greatest experience I’ve had throughout my cross-country career.
9. Goals for the 2012 cross country season?
I hope to compete well all season and have a very strong individual and team showing at the State Meet.
10. Long-term goals in cross country, or generally in your running career?
I’m really looking forward to running at the collegiate level so I can continue running competitively at the next level.
See Jordan’s IOWATFXC.COM webpage at https://ia.milesplit.com/athletes/1197180-jordan-schulze.