All State Selections
11/15/2017 1:38:38 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Interested to hear your criteria for 1st team vs 2nd team. Jack Thomas - 16:04 season best. UNDEFEATED SEASON. 16:05 @ Wamego 16:04 @ Rim Rock. Named to 2nd team L. Conrad -- 16:19 Season Best (as listed on KS Milesplit. 5 Wins (according to KS Milesplit) 16:19 @ RimRock, 16:19 @ Wamego. Named to 1st Team. A bit.....odd, wouldn't you say?
Interested to hear your criteria for 1st team vs 2nd team.
Jack Thomas - 16:04 season best. UNDEFEATED SEASON. 16:05 @ Wamego 16:04 @ Rim Rock. Named to 2nd team

L. Conrad -- 16:19 Season Best (as listed on KS Milesplit. 5 Wins (according to KS Milesplit) 16:19 @ RimRock, 16:19 @ Wamego. Named to 1st Team.

A bit.....odd, wouldn't you say?
11/17/2017 1:42:10 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Conrad is, I believe, a three-time state champion and was maybe third the other season. Don't know if that played a role, but tossing that out there.
Conrad is, I believe, a three-time state champion and was maybe third the other season.

Don't know if that played a role, but tossing that out there.
11/17/2017 3:26:45 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
There are about 12 guys with better season bests that are not listed, including the number 2 in the state. Jack was recognized as one of fourteen throughout the state for his outstanding season.
There are about 12 guys with better season bests that are not listed, including the number 2 in the state. Jack was recognized as one of fourteen throughout the state for his outstanding season.
11/21/2017 1:25:45 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The only thing I think is odd is that it says this is the third annual all-state team but there has never been a MileSplit all-state team before this year. I thought it was odd when I first saw it and so I finally went back and checked 2016 and 2015 and sure enough, there were no all-state teams those years. So that, to me, is odd. Otherwise it's just a list honoring some kids. In a sport like XC where you are so frequently running on different courses in different weather against different competition it can be very difficult to rank people. That said, like many others, I think Kerby Depenbusch deserved to be on the first team. He may have started the season injured but he still ran more than half the season and still managed to become one of the very best in the state and was nearly the individual state champion. Kerby is on my first team for sure!
The only thing I think is odd is that it says this is the third annual all-state team but there has never been a MileSplit all-state team before this year. I thought it was odd when I first saw it and so I finally went back and checked 2016 and 2015 and sure enough, there were no all-state teams those years. So that, to me, is odd.

Otherwise it's just a list honoring some kids. In a sport like XC where you are so frequently running on different courses in different weather against different competition it can be very difficult to rank people. That said, like many others, I think Kerby Depenbusch deserved to be on the first team. He may have started the season injured but he still ran more than half the season and still managed to become one of the very best in the state and was nearly the individual state champion. Kerby is on my first team for sure!
12/08/2017 11:30:02 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=Wrigs77]The only thing I think is odd is that it says this is the third annual all-state team but there has never been a MileSplit all-state team before this year. I thought it was odd when I first saw it and so I finally went back and checked 2016 and 2015 and sure enough, there were no all-state teams those years. So that, to me, is odd. Otherwise it's just a list honoring some kids. In a sport like XC where you are so frequently running on different courses in different weather against different competition it can be very difficult to rank people. That said, like many others, I think Kerby Depenbusch deserved to be on the first team. He may have started the season injured but he still ran more than half the season and still managed to become one of the very best in the state and was nearly the individual state champion. Kerby is on my first team for sure![/quote] Agreed. @Wrigs77
Wrigs77 wrote:
The only thing I think is odd is that it says this is the third annual all-state team but there has never been a MileSplit all-state team before this year. I thought it was odd when I first saw it and so I finally went back and checked 2016 and 2015 and sure enough, there were no all-state teams those years. So that, to me, is odd.

Otherwise it's just a list honoring some kids. In a sport like XC where you are so frequently running on different courses in different weather against different competition it can be very difficult to rank people. That said, like many others, I think Kerby Depenbusch deserved to be on the first team. He may have started the season injured but he still ran more than half the season and still managed to become one of the very best in the state and was nearly the individual state champion. Kerby is on my first team for sure!

Agreed.

@Wrigs77

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.