Leslie Taylor, junior, Mount Pleasant HS
PR’s: 55mH – 8.69, 60mH – 9.41, 100mH – 14.79, LJ – 17’1.5”
1. When & how did you get started in track & field?
I have always loved to run. I have been fast from a very young age. All the boys used to want me on their flag football team!
2. Person/people most influential to your success in track & field?
Definitely my coaches, Coach Hutchcroft, Coach Shy, and Coach Streigel; but also my uncles who where state champions.
3. Your favorite track & field event(s)?
My favorite events are the long jump, hurdles, and sprints.
4. Your track & field event coach(es)?
My head coach is also my hurdle and sprint coach, Dave Hutchcroft. My jump coach is Daryl Shy. They truly care about our track program; and I value the knowledge they have from their years of experience and interest in track and field. They are always supportive, work me hard, and truly care about me.
5. Keys to your successful track & field training program?
One of my keys to success is my mental toughness and preparedness. I work hard during the season; but the other key to success for me is my off-season work.
6. Your favorite track & field meet(s)?
My favorite track and field meets are the Iowa State Track Championships and the Drake Relays. I also enjoy meets that we host, like the Panther Relays, conference, and districts.
7. Track & field athlete(s) you most enjoy competing against?
The athletes I most enjoy competing against are my teammates on our shuttle hurdle team! We push each other, and challenge each other to be the best we can be.
8. Most memorable experience in track & field so far?
My most memorable experience in track and field so far has been the 2012 Iowa State Track and Field Championships!
9. Greatest accomplishment(s) in track & field so far?
My greatest accomplishments so far:
2012 Iowa State Track Meet, 3 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS! - 1) State Long Jump Champion 2) 100m Hurdle Champion 3) Shuttle Hurdle Team Champion (3A State Record).
Also, the 2011 Iowa State Track Meet where I finished 2nd in the long jump, and 5th in the 100m hurdles as a freshman.
10. Goals for the 2013 track & field season?
My goals for the 2013 track and field season would be for our team to finish as Conference and District Champions, a top-3 team finish at the STATE meet, and to repeat my personal event championships at the 2012 STATE meet.
11. If a senior, college/university you will attend, or schools you are considering?
I am currently a junior, but I am considering colleges and universities here in Iowa.
12. Long-term goals in track & field?
My long-term goals in track and field are to have a successful end to my high school career, and then to be part of a successful college program. I think I would also someday like to be a coach or trainer, or something that keeps me active in the sport.
See Leslie’s IOWATFXC.COM webpage at https://ia.milesplit.com/athletes/1918114-leslie-taylor .