McKennan Cronbaugh, senior, Iowa City West HS
PR’s: LJ – 18’10.5”, 100m – 12.56, 200m – 25.41
1. When & how did you get started in track & field?
I got started in track and field when I was in 5th grade, and joined the middle school team for fun. I didn’t get really committed to track until the summer before my 7th grade year when I found out I was good enough to compete in the Hershey Track and Field Games national meet.
2. Person/people most influential to your success in track & field?
The people that most influence my success would be God, my coaches, my parents and my teammates.
3. Your favorite track & field event(s)?
My favorite track & field event is the triple jump; but it’s not offered as a high school event in Iowa, and I am disappointed about that. So I’d say that my 2nd favorite would be the long jump.
4. Your track & field event coach(es)?
My track and field coaches are Coach Mike Parker, Peggy McGuire and Rachel West.
5. Keys to your successful track & field training program?
The keys to my success in track would be the fact that Coach Parker always pushes us to compete at our very best, even during practice and only running against our teammates. He tells us that we’re to run as if we are at the Drake relays.
6. Your favorite track & field meet(s)?
My favorite track meets would be the Drake Relays and State Championships. Being able to run in front of thousands of people is incredible and the high caliber of athletes that you are running against just makes you want to perform at your absolute best.
7. Track & field athlete(s) you most enjoy competing against?
Athletes I most enjoy competing against would be my teammates. We push each other to run faster, go harder, and not give up.
8. Most memorable experience in track & field so far?
My most memorable experience thus far would have to be my freshman year when our 4x1 team of me, Shahana Williams, Chloe Hoagland and Jessica Gehrke set the all time state record of 47.89 in the prelims at the State Championships.
9. Greatest accomplishment(s) in track & field so far?
My greatest accomplishment would have to be after the sitting out 2/3 of the season with a hamstring injury and coming back to win my 2nd state title in the long jump.
10. Goals for the 2013 track & field season?
My goals for this track season are to get my 3rd state title in the long jump, break 19ft, and to have a healthy no injury season.
11. If a senior, college/university you will attend, or schools you are considering?
I am a senior. However I will not be running track after high school. I am taking a year off, and working as a teacher’s aide in my local school district.
12. Long-term goals in track & field?
A team state championship to end my high school track career!
See McKennan’s IOWATFXC.COM webpage at https://ia.milesplit.com/athletes/1388821-mckennan-cronbaugh .