Ashlynn Yokom, junior, Iowa City West HS
PR’s: 1500m – 4:47.22, 3000m – 10:10.68, 4k XC – 14:00, 5k XC – 17:26
1. When & how did you get started in track & field?
I started track and field in 7th grade when my friends and mother convinced me to go out for a sport.
2. Person/people most influential to your success in track & field?
My mom has been the most influential to my success in track and field because she has supported me though every meet and my injuries.
3. Your favorite track & field event(s)?
My favorite track events are the 3000m, 1500m and the 4x800m. I like the 3000m better because I like the longer distances better.
4. Your track & field event coach(es)?
My track and field coaches are Head Coach Mike Parker and Assistant Coach Peggy McGuire.
5. Keys to your successful track & field training program?
The main aspects to my success in track and field is staying healthy by paying attention to my body and learning from my injuries so that I don’t get injured again. Also pushing myself everyday thorough practices and meets to be the best I can be.
6. Your favorite track & field meet(s)?
My favorite meet is the Drake Relays because qualifying to run at Drake is such an exciting feeling; then running your event in front of so many people is amazing. You can focus on your event and not have to worry about team standings. Also I like the MVC Conference meet because it is the last meet as a whole team, and everyone is working together to become conference champions.
7. Track & field athlete(s) you most enjoy competing against?
My favorite track and field athlete to compete against is the number one ranked girl and team, because it gives me something to work for and pushes me to beat them.
8. Most memorable experience in track & field so far?
My most memorable track and field experience was winning the 3000meters in the MVC conference meet because I beat the #1 ranked girl and as a team we won. The excitement of running to the center of the field knowing we won was an unforgettable experience.
9. Greatest accomplishment(s) in track & field so far?
One of my greatest accomplishments in track so far as been the 3000 meters at Drake. I placed 5th with my PR of 10:10.
10. Goals for the 2013 track & field season?
One of my top goals for the 2013 track season is to beat the West High 3000 and 1500 meters records set my Jeni Frudden in 2001.
11. If a senior, college/university you will attend, or schools you are considering?
12. Long-term goals in track & field?
My long team goals for track and field are to always give my best effort and not to settle for less.
See Ashlynn’s IOWATFXC.COM webpage at https://ia.milesplit.com/athletes/2192719-ashlynn-yokom .