Stephanie Jenks, freshman, Linn-Mar HS
PR’s: 4000m XC – 13:21, 5000m XC – 17:58.59
1. When & how did you get started in track & field?
My 7th grade year I did cross country and track. I love running, and running is something I really enjoy doing.
2. Person/people most influential to your success in track & field?
My middle school cross country coach and Coach Burke. From my conversations for preparing for this track season, Coach Hopp will also be influential to my success this coming season.
3. Your favorite track & field event(s)?
In middle school I loved running the 200m hurdles and the 1500m.
4. Your track & field event coach(es)?
Coach Hopp. I have had a great time talking with him so far this season.
5. Keys to your successful track & field training program?
Mainly, my success is from my triathlon training. When I train the three disciplines of swimming, biking, and running, the training isn’t boring. Training for triathlons is also fun because I am constantly switching sports. Plus, I am always with different people, which keeps the training fresh and fun. I have never been just a runner.
6. Your favorite track & field meet(s)?
I don’t have a favorite track meet. I am really looking forward to running my first high school meet at the Linn-Mar Stadium. I really hope I make it to the Drake Relays and State because the experience would be amazing.
7. Track & field athlete(s) you most enjoy competing against?
I haven’t raced against anybody in track and field yet, but during my cross country season I really enjoy racing against Cedar Falls’ senior, Allison Gregg. Allison has such a great positive attitude and determination. I just love talking to her after the races. I also really enjoy racing against Cedar Rapids Washington’s junior, Shannon Gorman. Her humor releases a lot of the tension before the start of the races. She is just a great person to be with and I love running my cool downs with her.
8. Most memorable experience in track & field so far?
This being my freshman year, I am really excited about all the new experiences I will be able to be involved in, and all the experience I will gain from this season.
9. Greatest accomplishment(s) in track & field so far?
Hopefully I will have something to add here by the end of the season. I will have to get back to you on that.
10. Goals for the 2013 track & field season?
I don’t have any goals for this season. I am really excited and can’t wait to see what I can do on the track. I ended the cross country season on a bad note when I got sick the last couple weeks. My main goal this season will be to STAY HEALTHY!! :)
11. If a senior, college/university you will attend, or schools you are considering?
12. Long-term goals in track & field?
I am just taking this season race by race.
See Stephanie’s IOWATFXC.COM webpage at https://ia.milesplit.com/athletes/2375410-stephanie-jenks .