Derrick Hurt, senior, Newton HS
PR’s: shot put – 54’11”, discus – 163’10”
1. When & how did you get started in track & field?
I grew up watching my older brother Tanner throw. My first meet was an elementary track meet and later that summer threw at the Iowa games, where I took first in my age division. I continued to throw Shot and Discus through middle school on to high school.
2. Person/people most influential to your success in track & field?
Watching my older brother Tanner throw in high school and then at the University of Northern Iowa is probably the reason I became so interested in throwing. Watching his success motivated me to do the extra things that I needed to do to be successful myself. Also, throwers at Newton have been fortunate to work with and outstanding throws coach (John Patterson), who has hand numerous state qualifiers, state place winners, state champions, and runner ups. He has been the person most responsible for my success.
3. Your favorite track & field event(s)?
I like Shot Put and Discus equally, I also really enjoy running in the 4 X weight man’s relay (4 X Phat).
4. Your track & field event coach(es)?
Coach John Patterson (Newton’s Throws Coach)
5. Keys to your successful track & field training program?
-Starting at a young age (9).
-Going to numerous throwing events, which motivated me to work hard.
-Working off season in the ring
-Lifting hard during the season
-Working with and trusting my Coach (Coach Patterson)
6. Your favorite track & field meet(s)?
2012 Drake Relays (Where I got 2nd in Shot put)
2012 State Track Meet (Where I got 2nd in Shot put & 3rd in Discus)
7. Track & field athlete(s) you most enjoy competing against?
Shaquille Wells (Urbandale)
8. Most memorable experience in track & field so far?
It has to be throwing a PR of 54’ 11 ¾” at the Drake Relays and placing 2nd.
And finishing 2nd and 3rd at the 2012 State track meet in Shot and Discus.
9. Greatest accomplishment(s) in track & field so far?
Finishing 2nd at Drake last year
And placing 3 times in the State Track meet (5th, 3rd, and 2nd)
10. Goals for the 2013 track & field season?
To qualify for Drake Relays in Shot Put and Discus, make the finals, and be in a position to have a chance to win.
And to do the same regarding the State Track Meet.
11. If a senior, college/university you will attend, or schools you are considering?
Central College, University of Sioux Falls, Augustana College (Sioux Falls), and Northern Iowa (UNI)
12. Long-term goals in track & field?
Right now the plan is to be a dual sport athlete in college (Football and Track). And to place high at the National level.
See Derrick’s IOWATFXC.COM webpage at https://ia.milesplit.com/